Leadership Development Program
We believe that strong leadership can successfully propel an organization to new heights of sales and revenue growth. It can also have a significant impact on talent retention and attraction. Great leadership within an organization can make all the difference.
Is your organization searching outside of its own walls for the strong leaders it needs?
Not many people can successfully lead companies, departments or divisions that are completely unfamiliar to them. More than ever before it’s critical to identify and develop potential leadership talent within your organization.
Ask yourself the following questions: If the plane carrying your current leadership team crashed, would your organization falter? Would the company struggle to get back on its feet? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you’re not alone.
Many companies concern themselves more with their communication difficulties, productivity concerns, recruitment challenges, and day-to-day operations than they do with their leadership development. This is the result of focusing on the short-term at the expense of long term strategy and organizational health. If this sounds familiar, then it’s time to refocus your efforts and start developing your future leaders.
Many companies today are missing the quality and quantity of leadership that they need at each level of their organization. We’ve discovered that most organizations don’t have enough seasoned leaders ready to take over for retiring and otherwise departing leaders. The good news is that there is no shortage of talent. It is often just the techniques for finding and developing potential leaders that needs to be changed.
Leadership Development Program
The following is an outline of our 12 month program designed to help prepare the next generation of leaders in your organization. This program is offered to companies that wish to develop their future leaders. The program is delivered one day per month for 12 months. It includes reading assignments, workshops, practicums, and a final exam.
LM1 – What is leadership?
This is the first module in the leadership development program. In this session the focus will be on identifying and understanding the similarities and differences between leadership and management.
- What is great leadership?
- What is great management?
- How does leadership differ from management?
- How do management and leadership work together?
LM2 – The Impact of Leadership on an Organization
The success or failure of any organization is a direct result of its leaders. Understanding how leadership directly or indirectly affects an organization is a critical step towards leadership mastery. Topics covered include:
- Acceptance of blame and re-direction of praise
- Using a company mantra or mission to help guide decisions
- How the organizational vision and goals affect the efforts of the employees
- How leadership can keep an organization focused
LM3 – Various Stages of Leadership Development
There are a number of stages that leaders naturally go through that can increase their leadership abilities. These stages are sometimes stimulated by the situation in which the leaders find themselves. Clear understanding of these stages allows an organization to create situations or conditions that stimulate the development of their leaders. Topics covered include:
- The natural stages of leadership development
- How each stage can impact the leader’s behaviour
- How each stage triggers behavioural changes to result in paradigm shifts
- How each stage stimulates the next stage
- How to create situations that can advance leadership development
LM4 – Fundamental Qualities of Leaders
The possession of key qualities can give a leader untold power. When leaders possess all of these qualities they become truly great. Being aware of these qualities can expedite the development of a potential leader. Topics covered include:
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
LM5 – Organizational Productivity
One of the biggest opportunities for improving an organization lies in increasing the productivity of its workforce. Some surveys have shown that over 75% of workers feel that they can be significantly more productive. The opportunity for improvement is tremendous. Topics covered include:
- The management of time and effort
- Productivity in the workplace
- Positive and negative reinforcement of behaviour
- Understanding employee motivation
LM6 – Dynamics of a team
Almost everything in an organization revolves around team work. Even people that work on projects without dealing directly with others will have an impact on anyone in the organization who will need to later contribute to those projects. It’s imperative to understand that everyone in the organization is interconnected and thus are working on the same team even if they don’t meet face to face. Topics covered include:
- The 6 elements of a highly effective team
- The required personalities for a highly effective team
- How to build an effective team
- Phases of team development
- Dealing with negative people
- Speaking in “Team” terms
LM7 – Adaptive Leadership Styles
In times of organizational growth the leadership style needs to be different than in times of crisis. Often particular situations or stages of organizational development require a specific leadership style. The ability of a leader to provide the leadership style required by the situation is critical to the success of the organization. Topics to be covered include:
- Leadership styles
- The phases of organizational development
- Which leadership style is most effective for a given situation
LM8 – Leadership Greatness
One of the best ways to learn about leadership is to study great leaders. In order to gather a deeper understanding of great leadership this session will involve a close examination of great leaders throughout time. Topics covered include:
- Great leaders from the past and present
- Commonalities among great leaders
- How leadership changes over time
LM9 – Personal Leadership Development
Personal development of one’s leadership abilities is always difficult. In this module we will explore ways for you to challenge yourself to develop your leadership skills. Topics included:
- Self-development and the comfort zone
- The discomfort of change
- How memory impact affects your leadership development
- Personal leadership development techniques
- Building your leadership development plan
LM10 – The Leadership Paradigm
Leadership is a way of thinking that changes behaviour. Understanding leadership as the outcome of a set of values, concepts, and practices can help you develop your leadership abilities. Topics covered include:
- Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs as it applies to business
- Developing creativity and innovation in the workplace
- Problem solving
- Micro and macro level thinking
- The effect of personal filters, believe systems, and vantage point on one’s perspective
LM11 – Business Fundamentals
One of the keys to leading an organization is to understand the fundamentals of business. Topics covered in this session include:
- Understanding business
- Systems thinking for organizations
- Business strategy
- Profit model analysis
- Organizational communication
- Fundamentals of branding
- Marketing strategies
LM12 – Leadership Review and Exam
This final module will serve as a review session for all topics covered. Following the review, all participants will complete an exam.
- Summary of the eleven modules on leadership
- Final leadership exam
- Suggestions for course improvement